The right colour palette can do wonders for your house. It can make your house appear spacious or cosy. Colour also sets the mood of a house, they can make it look sophisticated, vibrant or dull. Selecting and creating a colour palette for your house requires imagination, some idea about how colours work, and intuition. If you’ve been wondering how to choose paint colours for your home, this guide will help you arrive at your decision.
When you finally get to the painting of your new house, it can be quite confusing to choose a colour scheme. There are several choices when it comes to painting, each with its own set of pros and cons.
How to choose paint colours for your home?
● The first step in house painting colour selection is to find inspiration. Catalogues, magazines and creative websites like Pinterest, etc have many sources for you to take ideas from.
● You don’t have to be an expert in colour theory to know how colours work. You can compare colours to see how they look together using tools like a colour wheel, colour generators, etc.
● Consider neutral colours as they won’t contradict with any colour you may end up choosing. When you choose colour for home, it’s best to start conservative and later add a splash of wildness.
● If you are having trouble finding the right colour, try looking for lighter or darker shades.
● Research about the colours that interest you before going to the paint store and being bombarded with a huge number of options.
● While taking a decision of choosing paint colours for the living room and other rooms, keep in mind that a continual flow of paint can make your living space look larger.
● It is undeniable that colours and the feelings they evoke send out a strong message. It is important to choose a colour palette that sets a positive tone in the house.
● You can take your paint inspiration from printed fabric, nature, and even artwork. The idea for the right colour scheme can be found in many sources.
● Wanting every room to look unique with a different theme is not bad but make a note that the home’s colour palette should have some cohesiveness.
● Experiment with undertones by sampling. A neutral colour may not appear boring when accompanied by a strong undertone.
● Use paint colour apps to choose a color for the home. You can experiment with various colour schemes here and see how they look.
● Pay attention to how much light your existing house interior wall colouring gets. Your new colour scheme should be dependent on how both natural and artificial light each area of your house gets and how the paint reflects it.
● You also have to keep in mind the colour of the floor, furniture and other unalterable aspects of the room or house. Base your paint colours from them.
● A pop of bright colour here and there will only make you home more interesting.
● Try to paint the bottom part of your house dark and go lighter vertically.
What should you avoid?
● If you are going for a bold and vibrant look, avoid monochrome. Adding monochrome to an otherwise interesting look will end up looking messy.
● Remember that moderation is key. Too much of bold colours and patterns may end in the interior looking unintentionally garish.
● Don’t go for colour without first sampling it on your walls.
● Darker shades of colour should be avoided for the ceiling as it makes the space look confining.
● Don’t base your colour choices on an ongoing trend. The colours should be based on personal taste.
● Try to keep your colour palette to a maximum of 3 colours for each area to avoid a chaotic look.
● Don’t forget that the type of paint used can make your paint choice look different. For example, paints with satin sheen are good choices for kitchens and hallways.
● Don’t forget to apply a coat of primer after the painting is finished to get rid of differences in texture.
Choosing colour schemes, no matter how exciting, is a tricky affair. Even with all the tips and pointers given and searching high and low for the right colour, one may not find the right fit. And all the instructions of a DIY can’t help a project from going awry. It is always sensible to opt for someone with experience, like a consultant, to help you with this aspect.
You can share your vision, ideas, options, and budgets that you have with them and they can help you with the rest. Contractorbhai offers interior design services and helps you in achieving the vision you have for your house.
Contractorbhai stays true to your preferences when designing your interior. We offer budget friendly solutions to your home renovation requirements.